Sql*Loader, Bequeath and ulimit

From: ErikYkema <erik.ykema_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 09:30:22 -0800 (PST)

Hello,
We just experienced the following ulimit event in a production Sql*Loader run, and I am looking for your help in understanding why it is as we saw.

Oracle EE 817_at_AIX5L.
Ulimit for Oracle for fsize is unlimited, ulimit fsize for user that calls sqlldr is 2 GB. We insert (not direct path) and connect using beq (no @SID in connect string) and receive a message like:

ORA-01115: IO error reading block from file 1 (block # 5970)
ORA-01110: data file 1: '/db8/rstst/system.dbf'
ORA-27092: skgfofi: size of file exceeds file size limit of the
process

It turns out that this datafile is around 2GB in size. I first thought that the instance had been started in a wrong way, using wrong (2GB) ulimit. A bounce of the instance with correct environment didn't solve it.

We were able to insert the rows using Sql*Plus inserts manually (and to extend the dbf.)

We found some references on the internet confirming the problem and the following suggested approaches:
- either make sure the user that calls sqlldr has a ulimit at least
equal to oracle
- and/or make sure not to connect sqlldr using beq

An operator assures us that he has set the ulimit fsize (hard and soft) for the calling user to 4 GB, and still was not able to complete the sqlldr run succesfully, on the same error.

Now our assumption for explaining this is: When calling the sqlldr executable using beq, the oracle server side process that writes (and reads) the data file does not have exactly the same ulimit as the other instance oracle processes. It also seems not to have the calling user's ulimit. (If the operator's observation was correct.)

Why would/could this process be different? What is exactly the nature of this process? Or is something else going on? Would this case also hold for imp and other Oracle Utilities?

Regards,
Erik Received on Fri Nov 30 2007 - 11:30:22 CST