Re: Oracle Query Math

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 16:51:35 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 29, 4:30 pm, trp..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> I have a query:
>
> SELECT GROUP_NAME, PERCENT FROM GROUPSUMMARY
> WHERE REPORT_DATE= TO_DATE( '2007-10-01','YYYY-MM-DD')
> ORDER BY PERCENT DESC;
>
> I get results like this:
>
> Group1 40
> Group2 20
> Group3 15
> Group4 10
> Group5 5
> Group6 4
> Group7 3
> Group8 2
> Group9 1
>
> What I want is a query that returns the top 5 rows and then a sixth
> row with a calculation that is the sum of any result rows past row 5,
> which could be variable.
>
> So I want the results to show this:
>
> Group1 40
> Group2 20
> Group3 15
> Group4 10
> Group5 5
> Other 10
>
> Where "Other" is 100-(sum of rows 1-5).
>
> Is this possible with a query? This is an Oracle 10G database, not
> sure about the patch level. Thanks for your help!

orafaq.com and elsewhere have examples of "top-5" queries, perhaps you can subquery everything that not exists in that and union all to it. Just thinking out loud, there may be better ways, may depend on whether they always add up to 100.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
As if anyone respects robots.txt once clicks are paid for.