Re: Oracle Linux/Virtualization Software

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 08:35:26 -0800

The Boss wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:

>> hpuxrac wrote:
>>
>>> Oracle claims their VM is 3 times as fast as anything else.  Sounds
>>> pretty fishy to many of us.
>> But, of course, you haven't actually put it into a lab environment
>> and checked it. Demonstrating something to be true or false requires
>> more work than just dismissing it out of hand.

> Well, I would love to see Oracle demonstrating their claim to be true.
> 3 times as fast as IBM's zVM? Don't think Oracle can show lab proven
> evidence of that.

I don't know if they can or not because I haven't tested it yet.

What I object to is people putting attitude before aptitude. If someone hasn't tested it, or seen benchmarks from an authoritative source that has, that person is display nothing but their attitude and their comment is without value. If after testing it the result can not be validated then there is something worth writing about.

Let me give you an example.

When I first saw Oracle's claim of 3:1 compression in 11g I was highly skeptical. I thought "yeah ... with well chosen data." So I put it in the lab and beat it up rather heavily during the Beta.

It turns out Oracle's claim was remarkably accurate. Could I get compression ratios less than 3:1 ... sometimes. But I could also get compression rations of 4:1, exceeding the claim, too.

Again ... it should be about testing not pontificating. And Mr. Hurley, for one, has a rabid habit of pontificating on things he's never seen and never tested.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor