Re: Migrating to 11g

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:39:56 GMT

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:09:17 -0800, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:

>mark_smith wrote:
>> Hey guys, We are on Oracle 9i and not sure if we will migrate to
>> Oracle 11g. I am wondering, if any of you folks have upgraded to
>> Oracle 11G and if so why, or if you are still in the previous version,
>> why so. Also, wondering, if I am on Oracle 9i - how much incremental
>> budget will i need to get approval for, if we migrate to Oracle 11g -
>> assuming all other things being equal.
>
>I have moved one small application to 11gR1 because it was small enough
>to easily get through a testing cycle and deploy so that we could gain
>familiarity with it.
>
>So far I'd say 11.1.0.6 is of equal or better quality than 10.2.0.1 when
>it was first released. There are a few irritants but there are also some
>incredible new functional abilities we wouldn't be without. Among them:
>
>1. Flashback Archive
>2. Virtual Columns
>3. The new native compilation capability
>4. Network access control lists
>
>http://www.psoug.org/reference/new_in_11g.html

One of my favorite feature is the new caching capabilities (result_cache hint, if I recall correctly), where Oracle can cache the results of a query.. I believe MySQL works that way, and it could potentially reduce overall load on db with some poorly tuned, or rather heavy queries, which for whatever reason cannot be cached in the app.
We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR1/2 on RH4/RH3 and Solaris 10 (Sparc) remove NSPAM to email Received on Thu Nov 29 2007 - 04:39:56 CST