Re: Oracle Installer doesn't seem to recognize available swap space when de-installing.

From: The Boss <usenet_at_No.Spam.Please.invalid>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:20:54 +0100

shakespeare wrote:

> "The Boss" <usenet_at_No.Spam.Please.invalid> schreef in bericht
>> shakespeare wrote:
>>> "Jeroen van den Broek" <nltaal_at_baasbovenbaas.demon.nl> schreef in
>>> bericht news:1195065010.910458.18910_at_22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com...

>>> Did you put your environment in 32 bit emulation before starting the
>>> installer?
>>>
>>> Shakespeare
>>
>> Not that I'm aware of.
>> Why (and how) should I do that?
>>
>> By the way:
>> as the Installer with deinstall option didn't allow for ignoring the
>> "failure", I just removed both the Oracle Home and the Inventory
>> directories. After that I started a fresh install. Unlike the first
>> install, I again was faced with the "zero swapspace available"
>> message, but now I was able to just ignore the message and the
>> install just finished without further problems.
>> Weird...
>>
>> (Still would be interested though why I should run the Installer in
>> 32-bit emulation)
>> --
>> Jeroen
>>

> Seems to be a linux 64 bit thing, but may not be applicable to your
> situation. It's in the application server installation guide (maybe
> not for DB installations)...
>
> Always use 32-bit shell emulation, use the following command before
> running the installer and any other Oracle Application Server commands
> or scripts:
> # linux32 bash

Hmm, interesting.
I've never come across this one, but also never had to do an OAS install. In this case however, "Those In Command" have decided (against my advice) to combine a DB install and a OAS install in one (virtual) server. Although I'm only doing the DB install, I checked the OAS doco. Apparently it's only an issue for _x86-based_ 64-bit environments, as the 32-bit emulation is only mentioned in the Linux/x86 install guide, not in the one for Linux on zSeries.
Nice to know anyway.

> By the way: you should check SwapFree, not SwapTotal. Looks like the
> installer did not empty your swapspace.

Yep, you're right of course regarding the SwapFree vs. SwapTotal. However, the SwapFree was only marginally smaller (about 50 MB).

> Shakespeare

Thanks for your thoughts.

--
Jeroen