Re: Help with a command

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:41:14 +0100

nujcharee_at_googlemail.com schrieb:
> I have this web based application which hosted on a oracle database.
> Being an old legacy system, I have no documentation about this
> application / database e.g data dictionary etc...
> My approach is that I want to add a new value via the web application
> and look to see where the entered value appear in which table on the
> database.
> Obviously in reality I will need to view all tables hoping to find the
> value I enter and it could take a life time to do this.
> Is there any command I can use to acheive this? Say a command that I
> can use that give me a list of tables with most updated?
>
> Many thanks

Depending on complexity of your legacy application, this approach can require years of efforts to perform reverse engineering - from this point of view, an attempt to get your hands on the documentation may appear still more attractive ( and yes, i can't imagine even legacy application being deployed without the documentation ). To glue the activities over web interface with executed sql statements, you may use extended sql trace ( provided, you have oracle account wiht enough privileges to enable trace in another session) - some examples to do it are on Pete Finnigan site
http://www.petefinnigan.com/ramblings/how_to_set_trace.htm

Best regards

Maxim Received on Sun Nov 18 2007 - 16:41:14 CST