Re: Oracle package coding standard advise seeked

From: <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 03:29:31 -0800 (PST)

On 14 nov, 22:19, Guy <guh..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have written my first Oracle package. Older package in my company
> make use of the PRAGMA directive. I've just read that this directive
> have been replaced with function hints PARALLEL_ENABLE and
> DETERMINISTIC. But my package rely on the fact that a global variable
> contain a user+session unique list of permissions, so it is my
> understanding that these hints cannot be used in my particular case.

Pragma direcives come in flavors.
pragma restrict_references, pragma autonomous_transaction, to name just two, have nothing to do with hints in the sense of replacing them.
Parallel_enable would indicate querying a table could be done in parallel, and deterministic means any call with the same in parameter values always returns the same return value(s). I.e. a function returning celcius temperature from fahrenheit would/could/should be deterministic.
I cannot recall a pragma to was the predecessor of deterministic.

Suggest to read http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/appdev.101/b10807/13_elems039.htm on how e.g. pragme restrict_references and hints influence each other. Received on Fri Nov 16 2007 - 05:29:31 CST