Re: rman backup should be smaller than the database ????

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:34:42 -0800

On Nov 14, 10:33 am, newhorizon <mehmete..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I am glad put the command for the rman backup.
>
> I really appreciate the comments on adding the achivelog in the
> backupset.
>
> What are your thoughts about shrinking the tables before the backup ?

I can't see that such an act would benefit you in terms of the backup size. A shrink will only take away unused space (that above the HWM), not free space located below the high water mark, so you might save a few blocks of space per table, but it likely won't be appreciable.

I can't recommend it, but others may have differing opinions.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Wed Nov 14 2007 - 14:34:42 CST