Re: FC8 and Oracle

From: <hjr.pythian_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 01:35:53 -0800

On Nov 13, 7:26 pm, Mladen Gogala <mgog..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Oracle installer doesn't work on FC8. The problem is in the new libX11
> which is rather buggy when using the new XCB binding mechanism. The error
> produced by installer is the following:
>
> java: xcb_xlib.c:50: xcb_xlib_unlock: Assertion `c->xlib.lock' failed.
>
> Fiddling with the different versions of Java will not help and neither
> will the "sed trick" which replaces the codec name in the Athena widget
> library. The only thing that will help is to replace the libX11 packages
>
> libX11-devel-1.1.3-4.fc8
> libX11-1.1.3-4.fc8
>
> with the FC7 versions:
> libX11-1.0.3-8.fc7
> libX11-devel-1.0.3-8.fc7
>
> Of course, during that operation X11 cannot be active. Bug is well
> reported on Fedora and affects most of the Java based tools. Netmgr is
> also affected:
>
> [oracle_at_mladen ~]$ netmgr
> java: xcb_xlib.c:50: xcb_xlib_unlock: Assertion `c->xlib.lock' failed.
> /oracle/product/10.2.0/bin/netmgr: line 161: 4225
> Aborted $JRE -
> Dsun.java2d.font.DisableAlgorithmicStyles=true -mx100m -classpath
> $CLASSPATH oracle.net.mgr.container.NetApplication
> oracle.net.mgr.container.NetApplication
> [oracle_at_mladen ~]$
>
> In other words, if you are using Java, do not upgrade to FC8:
>
> [mgogala_at_mladen ~]$ uname -a
> Linux mladen 2.6.23.1-49.fc8 #1 SMP Thu Nov 8 21:41:26 EST 2007 i686 i686
> i386 GNU/Linux
> [mgogala_at_mladen ~]$
>
> Scrap Java, use Perl.
>
> --
> Mladen Gogala

There are workarounds available. I don't approve of one of them in particular: you just hack the Oracle-supplied JRE. A rather more sensible workaround (untested by me) involves setting nothing more than an environment variable -viable if it works. Details on the blog at www.dizwell.com

But to be frank, anyone contemplating running on Fedora 8 wants their head tested.

Use Centos instead (or even, if you have to be cutting edge, Ubuntu or Suse: both work fine without hacks, workarounds or botch-jobs). Received on Tue Nov 13 2007 - 03:35:53 CST