Re: rman duplication question

From: Jerome Vitalis <vitalismanN05P4M_at_gmail.com.invalid>
Date: 12 Nov 2007 21:48:59 GMT

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 15:11:48 +0000, Chuck wrote:

> Shouldn't this work? I mean, doesn't the duplicate process only need an
> undo (any undo) to make the aux db transactionally conistent for
> recovery?

RMAN duplicate cannot do that. You can exclude some tablespaces during the duplication but this is not possible with SYSTEM or UNDO tablespaces.

I suggest you perform a plain RMAN restore and recovery on your development host with your production database backups. With these commands, RMAN allow you to exclude UNDO tablespaces. The only requirement is that your backup must be a consistent (offline) one.

You will use something like that in your RMAN incomplete recovery job:

set until ...
restore database skip forever tablespace undotbs1; recover database skip forever tablespace undotbs1 noredo; ...

You will have to temporarily switch back to good old rollback segments to be able to create your tiny UNDO tablespace, as explained by Tom Kyte here: http://minilien.com/?R4gNWWQRTp

Jerome Received on Mon Nov 12 2007 - 15:48:59 CST