rman duplication question

From: Chuck <skilover_nospam_at_bluebottle.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 15:11:48 GMT

I have a question for the experts about rman duplication.

First let me explain the problem. We do "refreshes" of development databases using an rman duplicate of our production database (exp/imp would take way too long). But on production the undo tablespace is usually huge compared to the dev ones. So huge that sometimes there's not enough space to copy it to dev.

Here's my quesiton. Do I really need to copy that huge undo tablespace? If it's only going to be used for recovery of the duplicate, can I do something like this? Create a relatively small undo tablespace that is not active on the production db. It would only be big enough to do the recovery on the aux db. It's sits there idle and never gets used in production. Then when I am duplicating to aux, on the aux instance set up the init parameters to use that small rollback, and SKIP the big undo tablespace.

Shouldn't this work? I mean, doesn't the duplicate process only need an undo (any undo) to make the aux db transactionally conistent for recovery? Received on Mon Nov 12 2007 - 09:11:48 CST