Re: Oracle vs access/ Access as frontend for Oracle

From: <hjr.pythian_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 23:14:42 -0800

On Nov 10, 2:36 am, SePp <C_o_z_..._at_gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I want to build an application with .NET Framework C#/ and Oracle as
> Database,
> or with Access as Frontend for Oracle.
>
> What are the advantages / disadvantages of these ways (security,
> speed, query, etc.) ?
> Which one would be your choice and way?
>
> Thank you very much in advance for your opinion.
>
> regards
> SePp

There is a TINY bit of method in Daniel's madness, though there's a lot of just desiring to put you down and make you feel bad, too.

Access as a front end for Oracle is not exactly cutting edge. There can certainly be scalability and performance problems arising from using it, but at the end of the day it's a valid toolset and Oracle provide support for it. So anyone claiming that you want your head examined for daring to mention the idea is just sharpening an axe on their own particular grindstone with ignorance as its foundation.

For a more rational approach to Access/Oracle, you might start with the two articles mentioned at http://www.dizwell.com/prod/node/695#exotica -though I will confess upfront that it was intended to be a multi-part series of articles and has ended up with just two and a lot of 'if only I had the time'. What you make work in Access/Oracle using the techniques described in those articles (which are not ODBC, because that has enormous performance issues) can be applied to .NET generically. Received on Sat Nov 10 2007 - 01:14:42 CST