Re: hierarchical query - returning a treewalked subset

From: SpaceMarine <spacemarine_at_mailinator.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 09:44:01 -0800

On Nov 9, 4:00 am, havardk <hrkristiansen..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Ah... Now I understand your problem. Avoiding duplicates complicates
> matters, because then you will have to traverse the tree the other way
> to see if any other candidate is listed higher, starting from all rows
> that satisfy your "start with" criteria.
>
> The select below is even slower, but still works for this problem. I
> suspect there is an easier way to solve this :-)

yeah. i think it may be better just to keep the resultset w/ dupes, and then run it thru a scrubber in application code (which is what im doing now). my C# method loops thru the resultset (which is usually pretty small), and if a row is LEVEL 1, it loops thru the resultset again looking for a > LEVEL 1 row. if found, it knows the original-row is a child and shouldnt be a root, so it flags it for removal. after the initial pass all removals are performed (in a reverse loop to preserve row-number integrity), each one cascading down to remove the removal-row's children. works.

thanks for the suggestions!

sm Received on Fri Nov 09 2007 - 11:44:01 CST