Re: Object names changed to BIN$pgkQ... etc

From: <hjr.pythian_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 13:50:43 -0800

On Nov 8, 8:35 pm, "shakespeare" <what..._at_xs4all.nl> wrote:
> <hjr.pyth..._at_gmail.com> schreef in berichtnews:1194498353.418861.137880_at_y27g2000pre.googlegroups.com...
>
> > The thing that intrigues me most about your example, though, is why
> > you say
>
> > FLASHBACK TABLE "BIN$RfMyTuf+R7inKCbOiSay9g==$0"
> > TO BEFORE DROP;
>
> > ...when, unless I have misread your example, you could rather more
> > simply have done
>
> > FLASHBACK TABLE TEST TO BEFORE DROP;
>
> > You know you can flashback dropped objects by reference to their
> > original name, don't you?
>
> Not if you dropped two or three different tables named TEST and dropped
> them.
>
> Shakespeare

Well, that's wrong as my earlier demonstration, er, demonstrated. I dropped three different tables all called T and got the last one back without needing to refer to the BIN$ name at all.

If you want the nth table of the same name back out of the recyclebin rather than the last iteration of it, then fine: there's a use for the technique. I didn't suggest otherwise. I just wondered why Daniel used the more complex technique in a demo which wasn't demonstrating the more complex requirement. Received on Thu Nov 08 2007 - 15:50:43 CST