Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 17:58:22 -0800

joel garry wrote:

> Having spent several years providing DBA support as Hasta is
> describing, and many more on the other side of the fence, I must say,
> he's totally right on this one IME.

I have too but that isn't the way it should be and at some point we need to stop pretending that mediocrity is acceptable.

Would you accept this from your family physician? Of course he or she is not an expert on every possible disease. But if they couldn't triage what ails you they'd run short on patients quickly.

How about your attorney? Did he or she memorize every law book on the shelf? Of course not. But they know how to find what they need when they need it.

Arguing that because the DBA doesn't know everything is a rational reason to let the untrained and unqualified rat around a production instance is irresponsible so lets get back to this thread.

The subject was ... check the Subject above ... PLUSTRACE and the claim by some the developers belong on production boxes with DBA privs. And I am saying absolutely NO!

Now if you think, as a developer, you belong on a production box with DBA privs then focus on what I keep asking and to which not a single developer has replied.

If you think you've the skill to diagnose what is slow then post here the methodology you use.

Are developers trained in the use of StatsPack? How about ASH and AWR?
How about in the wait interface?

To identify problem SQL and PL/SQL does not require knowing the business rules. It does not require knowing the business logic. If you think it does you've already flunked the class on tuning.

Fixing the problem requires that knowledge but the triage does not. And the fixing takes place in Dev and Test ... not on Prod.

Want to try again? <g>

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington