Re: 9.2.0.6 to XE - can DBUA do this or better using exp/imp?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 12:53:12 -0800

On Nov 7, 8:08 am, GS <G..._at_GS.com> wrote:
> Having never used XE I thought perhaps someone here may have done this
> and save me some digging. I need to put several databases in remote
> locations that will connect via dblink to a main database here. As of
> today the main database is on 9.1.0.7 and the remote database will just
> hold a small subset of the data from the main. Adding these databases
> will put me close to or over (still have to check) my processor limit
> for the amount of named users we have, so I am thinking why not put
> these on XE, since they only have an SGA of 800mb and the data they need
> to hold is well under 1gb.
>
> Since there is one existing remote machine currently running 9iR2, I was
> thinking of giving the Oracle upgrade assistant a try, typically I've
> not had a lot of success with this (from 8.x to 8i, 8i to 9i) and have
> always used exp/imp.
>
> Does XE even have a utility for this?, or should I just stick with exp/imp?

Search for DBUA at tahiti.oracle.com. You will find 1 entry for XE which explains that you need to patch it. I learned something new today, I was still under the impression there weren't patches for XE. I hadn't really been paying attention.

I've habitually used exp/imp, but mostly because every upgrade I've done has involved something that made it the way to go. Haven't done it with production XE though.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
The largest export from the US to the People's Republic of China is