Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 22:36:40 -0800

Galen Boyer wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Nov 2007, damorgan_at_psoug.org wrote:

>> Galen Boyer wrote:
>>> The issue is that most DBAs aren't nearly as good as you or Sybrand,
>>> or Lewis, or Noons, or ...  Most of us developers are not privileged
>>> to work in an environment where the DBA is actually highly qualified.

>> Nor should you assume that all developers are as qualified as you are.
>> One does not define "best practice" situationally. You don't write a
>> procedures manual that says ... "if the surgeon is good let him cut
>> but if he's bad get out a letter opener and do it yourself." You get a
>> good surgeon.
>
> But, I don't hire the DBA's nor do I have the authority to.  So, then,
> how is the problem to be figured out?

Have you read nothing I've written?

  1. Developers do not belong in production.
  2. If the DBA can't do the DBA's job either train them or fire them.

The problem is not yours to solve ... it is management's. If management can't manage then, again, either train 'em or dump 'em.

Please let there be something other than mediocrity in the workplace.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington