Re: CDC (Change Data Capture) and unidirecional replication options

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 22:27:32 -0800

jlchiappa_at_gmail.com wrote:

> a. some Oracle source dbs are in noarchive mode :

Then your data is of no consequence. Just log in as root an rm -rf.

You've no need to replicate that which has no value.

Sorry for the sarcasm but NOARCHIVELOG mode. This is a joke? Right?

> b. some LONGs and LONG RAWs are present, unfortunately, and canīt be
> changed right now, and all the docs says that LONGs are not supported
> in replication of any type : can I create a view "translating" the
> LONGs to LOBs and use the view as the data source ?

Of course not. Replication shipping log files not the result of SELECT statements against view.

> c) speaking in triggers, if I switch to synchronous CDC (the made with
> triggers one), is possible to refresh only at certain times ?

Please read the docs and learn the concepts and architecture BEFORE making decisions.

It seems to me that before you invest any effort in replication you should decide whether your data is worth backing up.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington