Re: Significant virtual memory paging was detected on the host operating system

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 11:03:57 -0800

On Nov 6, 6:36 am, chris <cboi..._at_jlr.ca> wrote:
> On Nov 6, 1:38 am, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:

> > >I'm not an expert DBA, so i think if the memory is available, i can
> > >give it to the database
> > >is it better to reduce it ? , i'd change my server bcause the old one
> > >crash many time because of a lack of memory
>
> > >Thanks
>
> > a) The memory is not available.
> > b) Your calculation is wrong, as you forget to include the memory
> > client processes will be using on the database server. So : you are
> > not using 17Gb, you are using more. Please consult the task manager to
> > verify memory used by Oracle.exe
> > c) Is there any advisor in Oracle which told you to configure such
> > outrageous amounts of memoryl, or do you belong to the 'More is better
> > school of tuning'
> > d) Likely you have an untuned application.
> > Fix it.
> > Stop symptom fighting.
> > Contrary to what some 'gurus' state, it won't work, ever.
>
> > --
>
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBA
>
> Perfect, i'll go to reduce it and run the advisor
> Thanks to all

I would add, I believe the docs and some metalink docs are wrong or misleading on the subject of pga memory allocation. Googling for: pga_aggregate_target "jonathan lewis"
is very educational and will certainly add to your understanding of what you are doing.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://abqordia.blogspot.com/