Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: Hasta <hasta_l3_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 18:19:43 +0100

In article <1194368023.130238_at_bubbleator.drizzle.com>, damorgan_at_psoug.org says...
> > A good dba can certainly find one cause in the causal chain.
> >
> > However, he does not know the specifications of the components
> > of the system. Without a specification, he cannot identify
> > with certaincy the root component that is misbehaving.
>
> Then he or she is incompetent and should be trained or replaced.

No, the dba is not incompetent. Read on.

> > I'll try again, for the last time. Please read and answer :
> >
> > Let's assume your own (doc_id, person_id, doc_name) table
> > with an index on person_id.
> >
> > The dba finds that a query by person_id is too
> > slow when processing five thousand rows.
> >
> > Now, what does he do ?
>
> Reports that back to the developer who fixes it in the dev
> environment and validates the fix in test.

OK. Developper gets a bug report that the system is slow with 5,000 docs per person.

But developper is aware that the system is designed - by specification - to work smoothly for 500 documents per person - it is not designed to work with 5,000 (or 5,000,000) such documents.

What's happening, now ?

> Should I presume your answer would be that you throw untested code
> into prod

Nope. The system has been carefully designed, developped and load tested according to specifications : response time of less than one sec, given at most 500 docs per person. Received on Tue Nov 06 2007 - 11:19:43 CST