Re: Significant virtual memory paging was detected on the host operating system

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 14:36:07 -0800

On Nov 5, 1:40 pm, chris <cboi..._at_jlr.ca> wrote:
> On Nov 5, 4:37 pm, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 5, 3:10 pm, chris <cboi..._at_jlr.ca> wrote:
>
> > > Hi everyone,
>
> > > Id' just setup a new server for our Database, here's the Spec :
>
> > > Win Server 2003 Ent. Edition (64 bit)
> > > 2 CPUs
> > > 24 Gb of RAM
> > > Oracle 10.0.2.3 (64 bit)
>
> > > My SGA is 11040 MB and the PGA 4095 MB
> > > so, around 17GB for the instance, and it left 7GB of RAM for the OS
> > > suppose to be Ok, but i have the message : Significant virtual memory
> > > paging was detected on the host operating system in the EM ...
>
> > > Do i do something wrong ?
>
> > > Thanks
> > > Chris
>
> > I have trouble understanding why you need an 11 gig SGA.
>
> > David Fitzjarrell- Hide quoted text -

> I'm not an expert DBA, so i think if the memory is available, i can
> give it to the database
> is it better to reduce it ? , i'd change my server bcause the old one
> crash many time because of a lack of memory
>
> Thanks

Cut both the SGA and PGA in half. Then when things are running with a normal load, use the advisory tools to figure out what they should be.

More is not always better. Also, sometimes the advisors keep telling you to increase things, look closely at how much change it predicts will be made, don't fall into the trap of trying to get every last percentage point of performance that way.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20071103/news_1b3scam.html