Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 11:03:36 -0800

sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 09:40:20 -0800, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
> wrote:
>

>> Lets keep in mind that when we are talking about Oracle's customers we
>> are talking about the largest telecommunications, energy, manufacturing,
>> and service businesses on the planet.

> Wrong again. We maintain many databases for very small companies.
> Those for whom visiting a DBA course would mean a waste of money, when
> they look at our rates.
> Also there are many major firms without a corporate database, so you
> can end up with a measly database on a Win2k system dealing with the
> flight schedules for 3000 cabin attendants (developed by Oracle, BTW,
> and you will be schocked when you look at the internals)
>
> You need to get out of Utopia very soon.

That you maintain many databases for small companies I've no doubt. There are many companies just like yours.

But I would be willing to bet that just one larger corporate or governmental organization, alone, has more databases than you and everyone like you, will see in a year.

Organizations that have both developers and DBAs are generally the larger shops. Small shops tend to purchase commercial off-the-shelf apps such as Banner, Siebel, PeopleSoft, etc. My comments are addressed to those where there is an option to give the work to the DBA or give the work to the developer. And I am saying that in those shops that are large enough to have both it is the DBA that should have the skill and be on the prod instances.

Surely you are not advocating developers with DBA privs on production servers.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington