Re: package htp

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 19:55:35 +0100

Jake wrote:
> I know this isn't going to be popular, but here goes.
>
> Looking at the HTP package, if I had to make a lot of web pages using
> that, it looks like it would be, well, painful, compared to other
> languages like PHP, Ruby, ASP, JSP for instance.
>
> Is this commonly used to create web pages using PL/SQL, or is there
> another preferred method?
>
> Does PL/SQL have any templating mechanism where you can create a text
> html template and just "fill in the blanks" procedurally?
>

> thanks.

What could be "painful"?
Just run the page through a html to plsql converter, load it, and done - if you deliver the page, I'll stream it from the database 10 seconds later.

And - if you plan on doing things from with the database, some form of wrapping might be handy. Application Express and Portal are two examples of Oracle products doing just that.

If you want a bit more control, take a look at http://vanbortel.blogspot.com/2006/07/authentication-in-modplsql.html or this:
http://vanbortel.blogspot.com/2006/09/modplsql-and-flexible-parameter.html

Comes with a wrapper, too

--