Re: DP Import question

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 06:57:00 -0800

On Nov 5, 8:48 am, Faraz <sarfarazla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have a task on hand for which I need some suggestions
> We are upgrading our test environemts to make them as close as
> possible to our live environments at least in terms of the meta data
> as we still do not have resouces to completely match them in terms of
> metadata and the data.
> So i am thinking to take an export of the Prodcutin database ( meta
> data only ) to have the definations on objects exported. My
> understanding is that it will export every thing other than the table
> data ( i.e. schemas, tablespace,table defination grants ,etc). but my
> conern is that when i import
> 1- do i need to create the tablespaces befor hand
> 2- if not the i do not have all the path available in test environment
> as i have in prod ( storage limitation)
> can some if possible explain how to handle that?
> thanks in advance

If the paths (directory configurations) are different then you should pre-create the tablespaces. [Of course, if the user doesn't have the UNLIMITED TABLESPACE privilege then the objects will be created in the importing user's default tablespace should the original destination tablespaces not exist.] As long as your tablespaces are named the same between the two machines it doesn't matter where the datafiles reside, the objects will be created in the 'correct' tablespaces. For example if you have a MY_DATA tablespace in production using datafiles at /u01/oracle/datafiles/, and you create a MY_DATA tablespace in the test database, using datafiles at /test/oracle/tesdb/data it won't matter that the physical file locations don't match as the tablespace names are the same between the two machines.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Nov 05 2007 - 08:57:00 CST