Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: Galen Boyer <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 4 Nov 2007 20:15:03 -0600

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007, sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On 3 Nov 2007 09:29:03 -0500, Galen Boyer <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>>A thoroughly qualified DBA is something I'd rather have.  I don't want
>>to be on the production system.

> You'd better ask for a qualified DBA in development.

Well, that is the issue, now isn't it? The issue is that DBAs are not part of the development cycle. Its the way the application coding world has been set up. Its not the developer's fault. Its not the fault of the DBAs. But, I can tell what does not help bridge the gap. Talking with disdain about developers every chance one might get.

> The general issue is most developers are completely unaware of
> database internals, and there is no DBA available to guide them. Once
> the application has been thrown over the wall, it requires a
> pathologist to discover why the app has deceased.

If communication between DBAs and developers was a constant requirement, this would not be the case.

--
Galen Boyer