Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: Galen Boyer <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 4 Nov 2007 20:07:06 -0600

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007, damorgan_at_psoug.org wrote:

> My point was that while the developers here seemed more than willing
> to point fingers at incompetent DBAs from my experience the developers
> are equally guilty of not keeping their skills current. Not more so
> ... equally so.

A few of the DBA's on this group take the "DBA is God and developers are idiots" tone and attitude in all of their opinion based posts. I've seen enough really really bad and stupid DBAs in my career to know that his attitude is not warranted, at all. The description of stupid idiots is found at all levels, which is inclusive of the supposedly omnipotent DBAs.

Daniel, I don't live in an ideal world, as opposed to you. Why? When you are on an assigment, it is already an ideal world. Because you are qualified to be the DBA you expect all DBA's to be. So therefore, to you, no developer's should have access to production. The issue is that most DBAs aren't nearly as good as you or Sybrand, or Lewis, or Noons, or ... Most of us developers are not privileged to work in an environment where the DBA is actually highly qualified.

--
Galen Boyer