Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 14:11:40 +0100

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 12:06:52 +0100, Marc Blum <blum_at_marcblum.de> wrote:

>hu? Do you live in the world of itzi-bitzi-mini-apps?
>
> In a production system, where the DBA is responsible for up & running of 100+
>instances, and then a new system involving 20+ man*years of coding goes live,
>then the DBA won't be the guy who knows the business rules implemented by this
>big new app. Hopefully he has been involved in the steps of capacity planning
>but it is completely out of focus to incorporate him in the whole
>requierement/system design/app development/testing etc cycle.

The problem is usually no DBA has been involved in any of the steps you mention.
This is just preparing for incumbent disaster.

>>Mind you for
>>all of the folks that have setups where the developers know the business
>>and the dbas don't I sure hope the support calls all go to the
>>developers first - anything else would be a misroute.
>
>Support calls don't go to the DBA nor to the developers. These guys are in the
>second or even third level support layer.
Incorrect, at least in outsourcing situations I'm involved in. Customers have been instructed by developers to always blame 'the database' when anything goes wrong.

As our helpdesk is a helpdesk, they only dispatch the calls. Currently for one customer it looks like I'm the SPOC, and I simply get all calls, even those that have nothing to do with the database at all.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA