Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: Peter J. Holzer <hjp-usenet2_at_hjp.at>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 00:17:08 +0100

On 2007-11-03 20:19, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Peter J. Holzer wrote:
>> On 2007-11-03 16:25, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:
>>> Listen to yourself for a second. A Java developer writes code that runs
>>> on an application server.

[...]
>>> This person's knowledge of wait events is precisely zero. Likely they
>>> can't even construct a decent WHERE clause.
>>
>> If they can't do this they have no business writing software which sends
>> SQL queries to an RDBMS. Let somebody else who does have some clue about
>> databases design a middle tier which they can connect to. Or send them
>> to training or fire them - but for heaven's sake don't let them write
>> code which runs on your hallowed production database.
>
> Do you know a single Java developer that knows how to run an Explain
> Plan?

You got me there. The competent programmers I know mostly seem to avoid Java when they can.

But since at least half of the Java Programmers I know do have a background in PL/SQL programming I should hope they know how to use Explain Plan. I wouldn't bet on it, though.

And I do know a FORTRAN programmer who knows very well how to use explain plan and probably a lot more about Oracle performance than most DBAs. I'd expect C programmers (which was the other language you mentioned) also generally to know what they are doing.

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | It took a genius to create [TeX],
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | and it takes a genius to maintain it.
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |	-- David Kastrup in comp.text.tex