Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 13:19:33 -0700

Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> On 2007-11-03 16:25, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:

>> Peter J. Holzer wrote:

>>> Who said anything about PL/SQL developers? "The developer" is the
>>> developer of the application with the problem.
>> So you are going to give DBA privs to the Java developer? Now you've
>> really got me frightened.

> I thought so :-).

>>> If the application is written in C or Java, then the developer will be a
>>> C or Java developer. If his application accesses the database directly
>>> he should still know enough about the database to diagnose problems. How
>>> else could he develop the application in the first place?
>> Listen to yourself for a second. A Java developer writes code that runs
>> on an application server.

> He also writes SQL queries which run on the database (If he doesn't, he
> doesn't belong in this thread). He may even be the one who designed the
> data model.
>
>> The product is a JAR or EAR file perhaps.

> What do glorified ZIP files have to do with this thread?
>
>> This person's knowledge of wait events is precisely zero. Likely they
>> can't even construct a decent WHERE clause.

> If they can't do this they have no business writing software which sends
> SQL queries to an RDBMS. Let somebody else who does have some clue about
> databases design a middle tier which they can connect to. Or send them
> to training or fire them - but for heaven's sake don't let them write
> code which runs on your hallowed production database.
>
> hp

Do you know a single Java developer that knows how to run an Explain Plan? Could tell you what DBMS_XPLAN is and how it works? Knows the difference between NOT IN and NOT EXISTS? I don't. I'm sure there are a couple of them out there somewhere but I've never met them.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington