Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 09:34:27 -0700

Hasta wrote:
> In article <1194099250.480387_at_bubbleator.drizzle.com>,
> damorgan_at_psoug.org says...

>>> --- Raoul
>> You failed. <g>
>>

> Daniel Daniel Daniel...
>
> I didnt even read closely the code - it's obviously not of
> production quality.
>
> I used it to illustrate the main issue.
> But apparently you too failed to read it <g>
>

>> The only part of the spec it does not meet is speed.
>> It takes too long to complete.

> "Too long" or "fast enough" is not an testable specification,
> Daniel.
>
> I am not trying to escape the problem. I am trying to show
> you that one should first be sure to solve the real problem,
> and be sure to know what's the target to meet.
>
> Anything else would be hacking - and nobody wants hackers
> in production, isn't-it ? ;-)

You are waffling. Marc posted the solution which quite simply is:

"this could be done with one statement"

The cursor loop is obsolete as of 9i but in this case the correct solution could have been written in version 7.

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE test IS
BEGIN
   INSERT INTO child
   SELECT part_num*10, part_name
   FROM parent;
   COMMIT;
END test;
/

And perhaps with the APPEND hint depending on other factors.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington