Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 07:21:32 -0700

Galen Boyer wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007, damorgan_at_psoug.org wrote:
>

>> The solution is not for the developer to hack around prod hoping to
>> stumble on the issue.

> This is a complete misstatement of what is going on. The developer is
> armed with something extremely important, which the dba is not, and that
> is deep knowledge of how the application was written. The developer is
> not hacking around and stumbling, he is making very educated guesses at
> what could be wrong and checking into those pieces of the codebase.

Jonathan Lewis, Cary Millsap, Jeremiah Wilton, and numerous others I could name could walk into your shop right this second, knowing absolutely nothing about your business including its name, get DBA privs on your production database and give you a list of what is and is not the issue in a matter of minutes to hours.

Knowing how to fix it may require some tribal knowledge and that I think clearly is something developers should do if the issue is code related. But you don't fix things in prod ... you identify them in prod. Fix them in dev. Test them in test. Deploy the fix in prod.

If you want access to prod it is to identify the problem. For that a thorough understanding of wait events trumps your employee id every time.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington