Re: Problem with installing Oracle

From: The Boss <usenet_at_No.Spam.Please.invalid>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 23:40:12 +0100

hjr.pythian_at_gmail.com wrote:
> On Nov 2, 5:49 am, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> dbm..._at_gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> I've installed couple of times
>>
>>> Oracle using this guide and your scripts on RHEL 4 and never had any
>>> problems. But never on RedHat 4 update 4 though. :(
>>
>> Downgrade! Make sure you have the exact correct versions
>> of the libraries and packages!
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Frank van Bortel
>>
>> Top-posting is one way to shut me up...
>

> No, don't downgrade! Install the one extra package I mentioned in my
> first reply. That's all that's required, I think.

Yep, think so too.
I had the same issue (as shown in the first 'webshot') only last week installing 10gR2 (64-bits) on Linux for zSeries (SLES9-based). Cause: missing glibc-devel-32bit package. What's frustrating is the fact that:

- this prereq isn't mentioned anywhere in Oracle's official install docs
- same is true for 10gR1 although it is needed there as well
- during the actual install, it doesn't pop up right away at the
prerequirements check phase but much later at the link phase - although all of this is known for quite some time (there is a Metalink-note for it, haven't the number at hand right now) Oracle seems not to be capable of updating their install docs accordingly.
--
Jeroen