Re: Oracle managed statistics

From: <>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:46:54 -0700

On Oct 31, 2:00 pm, Altus <> wrote:
> Once again I turn to the gurus.
> I have a vendor who is nervous about the Oracle managed statistics
> (target object auto). They don't like seeing objects with statistics
> older than a month.
> My choices are:
> 1) Fight a battle "re: are the statistics REALLY stale".
> This will be long and futile, since management likes vendors.
> 2) Change the frequency/agressiveness of the auto analyze.
> 3) Run the full analyze every day/week/2 weeks.
> Waste of resources / 8i way of doing things.
> Since I haven't played with the statistics area of GRID or 10g, I
> would like to take that approach.
> Is there a way to adjust Oracle's threshold?
> Thanks,
> Evan
> Oracle on Red Hat 3.
> Three node RAC.
> GRID shows the script as:
> begin
> dbms_stats.gather_database_stats(
> options=> 'GATHER AUTO');
> end;
> Last night it analyzed 222 objects in 8.46 minutes. This left 899
> tables and 1553 indexes analyzed before September 22 (vendor has a
> tizzy).

Then the vendor doesn't know Oracle as well as he/she thinks. If Oracle isn't complaining (and I know you know this) why is he/she? Apparntly because there is just enough knowledge in the vendor's arsenal to be dangerous. Unfortunately management tends to favor this vendor over real knowledge/expertise.

Unfortunately I don't know of any way to 'speed up' or shorten the time period between statistics collection on monitored tables/indexes, outside of possibly some dummy insert/delete transaction to 'fool' Oracle into thinking the data has changed. Then, I'm not bothered by the interval that may pass between computations.

The next time this vendor has a 'tizzy' I'd auction it on eBay and see what you can get. I understand a 'tizzy' in near mint condition can fetch a hefty price. <g>

David Fitzjarrell Received on Wed Oct 31 2007 - 14:46:54 CDT

Original text of this message