Re: ORA-01031 insufficient privileges - what am i missing?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 16:15:17 -0700

Helma wrote:
> On Oct 29, 4:31 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:

>> Helma wrote:
>>> <snipped>, i should stick to this on the ora10 machine.
>>> Helma
>> Why? I wouldn't. Continuing a bad practice is not something to be proud of.
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org

> Hello Daniel,
>
> I guess you've been around in the Oracle land long enough to know that
> technical people have to violate the things they perceive as ' best
> practice'. I gave you an example of this in one of my previous
> posts : they are running oracle 9 the very first version here and
> refuse to apply patches for non-technical reasons. With my 10 years of
> DBA experience i know well that there is no virtue in not applying
> patches.
>
> You were dismissive of this, telling me that there was no excuse for
> me to run behind so many versions - as if it was my choice not to use
> patches.

Not dismissive of you. Dont' confuse my comments about policy with being personal.

Any company that invests tens of thousands of dollars, or more, in Oracle software and then treats it like it is MS Word deserves attitude. They are the ones that make their DBAs work evenings, weekends and holidays to make up for being short-sighted. They are the ones who abuse Oracle professionals. I grant them no quarter.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington