Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:38:41 -0700

joel garry wrote:

> The difference is functional application knowledge. It's simply too
> much to ask in most environments that there be perfect flow of
> requirements from users to programmers and then through implementation
> DBA's back to users.

I think, perhaps incorrectly, that you are confusing things a bit. One does not use Autotrace to deal with requirements, or business rules, or service level agreements. One uses the tool for purposes of tuning. The rule are simple:

  1. There is a problem that is impacting performance and scalability.
  2. Identify the cause
  3. If the cause is code ... improve the quality of the code.
  4. If the cause is indexing ... implement the better indexes.
  5. If the cause is network bandwidth ... implement multipathing, etc.
  6. If the cause is disk i/o ...
  7. If the cause is bad pathways chosen by the optimizer ...
  8. If the cause is a problem with system statistics ...
  9. If it is the application due to use of Java Beans ...
  10. If it is the application server ...
  11. ...

Do you see the problem here?

  1. Reported to the help desk or DBA
  2. Run StatsPack or equivalent ... does not require a developer
  3. The DBA can send the offending code to the developer 4-infinite. Things the developer can't even talk about and wouldn't recognize if it followed them down the corridor with a lead pipe.

The DBA, working with system, network, and network admins can identify and fix a multitude of problems. The PL/SQL developer has one tool and to that person every problem looks like a nail. So that person will try to pound it in with a hammer. That is not an appropriate solution in most cases.

If there is a situation where the developer is truly more qualified than the DBA ... I'd suggest someone turning the DBA out into the street and giving the developer a promotion (of sorts).

Daniel A. Morgan
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group