Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:55:05 -0700

On Oct 27, 2:09 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> hpuxrac wrote:
> > On Oct 26, 8:21 am, zino <antony6..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >> why our DBA refuse to give us permission on PLUSTRACE ???
> >> does that role expose the database to any security flaw ???
> >> I need to set the AUTOTRACE to understand how the sql script is
> >> functionning, but our DBA refuse to give us permission to PLUSTRACE.
> >> View that I'm new to oracle, is there other way to analyse what the
> >> script is doing other than setting AUTOTRACE.
> >> thanks for help
>
> > Look at what Tom Kyte has to say and how to explain the usage ...
>
> >http://asktom.oracle.com
>
> > He covers it well in several of his books additionally.
>
> > Not surprised that other responders to this thread are off base ...
>
> Tom has many hundreds of posts on autotrace is the OP supposed to guess
> to which one you are making reference?
>
> But given your extensive experience as a DBA ... rather than pointing to
> Tom ... why don't you tell us why developers should not have autotrace
> on a dev box. I am sure many here would be interested in your opinion.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org- Hide quoted text -

Mark's reply covers it pretty well. It's been really busy but probably I could have given a link or two. On the other hand people learn a lot researching things on asktom .... that's always a good thing.

Your first response was more of the usual bash the DBA type thing without establishing any facts like oracle version, test/dev/qa or prod etc. The type of thing you sling around all the time here on cdos in other words.

Personally I don't find a need to use autotrace. Better tools and other options.

More questions? Received on Mon Oct 29 2007 - 19:55:05 CDT