Re: Backup of large databases

From: <ivl5_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:31:04 -0700

On Oct 28, 1:06 am, zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> On Oct 27, 9:20 am, zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:

> > > RMAN at 8.1.6.x wasn't exactly really stable exactly.
>
> > > I backup a much larger database to tape in less than an hour. Can you
> > > get a bigger pipe over the network for the backup traffic or move to a
> > > local tape unit?
>
> > > You might want to look at disk based backups?- Hide quoted text -

> > If I backup to disk using RMAN and then backup the backupsets (on
> > disk) to tape, why do you think backup times will decrease. Also,
> > since my database size is 500GB, Let us say I want to keep a month's
> > backups on disk everyweek I do full backup and on weekdsays do
> > incremental backup, won't I need 2000GB to 25000GB anount of disk
> > sapce.- Hide quoted text -

RMAN backups are smaller than database size.

> What I meant was backing up from disk to tape can also take lot of
> time ober network unless I backup to a local tape drive.

Let's accept that you found your bottleneck - the network. If so, you should either avoid it completely or get across something smaller it can cope with. I see a couple of options: - backup locally on tape and ship them off site - backup locally on disk, compress backups and transfer much smaller files over slow network.

In any case, start talking to the management, like yesterday :) You don't want to end up as a scapegoat, do you?

Igor Received on Mon Oct 29 2007 - 18:31:04 CDT