Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:38:32 -0000

(Hope I clipped the attributions correctly)

On Oct 28, 9:25 am, Robert Klemme <shortcut..._at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 27.10.2007 15:15, DA Morgan wrote:
>
> > Robert Klemme wrote:

[]
> >> And then there are of course those shops too small to have their own
> >> DBA and that need to rely on the software provider to determine the
> >> root cause of an issue. I know, this should not happen (i.e. an
> >> Oracle without a DBA) but in practice...
>
> > Assuming a competent DBA, one that knows how to run traces, one that
>
> From my experience, that's a requirement which is not met at all sites...

A shop running Oracle without a trained DBA, is walking on very thin ice IMHO.
A shop running almost any DBMS without a DBA is also risking a lot.

Now the DBA might be parttime and also work as a developer. That's a tough role, but some places do not have the resources to do otherwise. Still Someone that has the training and aptitude for the DBA role is needed for any critical production database. And their primary duty should be preparing the disaster recovery plan. It is a point too often overlooked.

  Ed Received on Mon Oct 29 2007 - 16:38:32 CDT