Re: Linux on Sun-intel or Dell-intel?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 13:43:35 -0000

On Oct 26, 8:59 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Unless I misread the OP ... we are talking about the operating system
> and the only question is which hardware vendor ... which is why I
> suggested looking at HP too. I'm with Howard ... I'm not a fan of Dell
> in the data center.

Well certainly I took the total and complete lack of any reference to the OS, but the following sentence

"Our organization is debating whether we should to Sun-intel (not solaris) or Dell-intel in terms of hardware for database"

to state that it was a hardware question and not an OS question. of course there are occasions where what is stated in black and white is not what is meant and that implying motives beyond the text is worthwhile, but it's a risky venture going there in my experience.

My experience by the way of dell in the last 18 months or so is that it works just fine in the data centre, even when that data centre is shall we say sub-optimal in terms of physical resources (like aircon and power). This was not my expectation on coming here. It is my experience though. In fact the one set of hardware that I'd find difficulty recommending is the set of blade servers HP came out with about 3 years ago. Received on Mon Oct 29 2007 - 08:43:35 CDT