Re: Again, Solaris or Linux for RAC

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 18:28:25 +0100

On 26.10.2007 22:36, Mladen Gogala wrote:
> For DW, I would consider RAC. Have in mind that PC machines are not true
> minicomputers and have hard times with large I/O loads.> Also, cheapo
> disk arrays like Xiotech cannot handle high data loads like EMC, Hitachi
> or IBM Shark. SUN minicomputers are far better at handling high I/O loads
> then any Linux box.

That's what they used to say but is it still true? I would believe that modern PC systems (not the cheap ones) yield at least similar throughput as Solaris boxes - but at a significantly lower price. This would not be surprising given the number of players in the field and the amount of research put into either one. I believe I saw a performance benchmark where a high end PC was significantly faster than a Sparc machine but unfortunately I cannot reproduce the URL.

Cheers

        robert Received on Sun Oct 28 2007 - 12:28:25 CDT