Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 10:01:40 -0700

Peter J. Holzer wrote:

> Seriously, I agree that you don't want most programmers anywhere near a
> production system. But then, those are probably the programmers which
> you don't want to develop software which runs on your system anyway.

>> A developer rummaging around a production instance trying to diagnose
>> what the DBA can not? If you can provide a scenario where this looks
>> like a good idea I'd be interested in considering it.

> The programmer knows what the queries are for. So while the DBA may be
> better at identifying hot queries and may even be better at optimizing
> them (although I think that is a skill that a DB programmer should
> have), the programmer may notice that a particular query can be
> completely eliminated or that his assumptions about user behaviour were
> way off and he needs to restructure part of his applications.

If he/she can't do that in test then the test environment is worthless.

> Sure, he can get all this from the DBA. But if he doesn't already know
> what he's looking for he may not be able to tell the DBA what he needs
> to know.

If one is not tuning by some Neandertal techniques ... the DBA should have no problem identifying the statements, procedures, functions, whatever that are the issue that requires the tuning. The developer should be focusing on those statements that are shown to be the issue. What I meant by "rummaging around" was that a developer, unless granted DBA privs which sort of make them "the DBA" will just be randomly looking for "stuff" and fixing "stuff" that may well be unrelated to the actual issue. If the DBA can't find the problem, get them a copy of Cary and Jonathan's books. If they still can't find the problem replace them.

I know that sounds a bit harsh to some but then you should have heard Jeremiah Wilton's keynote at the NoCOUG conference: Blistering ... very well communicated ... and desperately in need of being said.

Daniel A. Morgan
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group