Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 09:45:36 -0700

Robert Klemme wrote:

>> Assuming a competent DBA, one that knows how to run traces, one that

> From my experience, that's a requirement which is not met at all sites...

I will agree. But to assume otherwise is to assume that an organization with an incompetent DBA has, by some miracle, a competent developer or two. Seems a rather dicey assumption to me.

>> A developer rummaging around a production instance trying to diagnose
>> what the DBA can not? If you can provide a scenario where this looks
>> like a good idea I'd be interested in considering it.

> I did not meant to mandate this as the standard approach. I just think
> that your rule does not fit all situations in reality. If you take it
> as guideline I am completely fine with it.

I agree ... every rule has its exceptions. But if one is running their IT infrastructure based on a "best practices" manual ... most don't but they should ... it follows that the general rule is developers never touch production. And on the other side ... DBAs should grant every possible privilege to developers in their sand box to encourage them to learn and use better practices. Which takes us back to granting PLUSTRACE in dev.

> Having said that, there may be situations where communication between
> DBA and development is difficult and / or (too) slow (time zones and
> languages come to mind) where it is better / faster to have development
> pull the data they need. Of course, developers then need to be
> competent DBA's as well...
> Cheers
> robert

Last sentence is the best. <g> I've been preaching this for years. A DBA that can't write a PL/SQL package is of limited value. A developer that doesn't understand DBA considerations a waste of a perfectly good seat.

Daniel A. Morgan
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group