Re: Again, Solaris or Linux for RAC

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 12:56:37 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 06:08:11 -0700, DA Morgan wrote:

> At the Northern California Oracle Users Group's Fall conference this
> past week I again met one of the clients I helped implement RAC on Mac:
> A little non-technical place called Lawrence Livermore National
> Laboratory.

Ah, an attempt of humor again? Lawrence Livermore is also funded by federal budget which means that they are rather different from the vast majority of companies except, of course, Blackwater Security and Halliburton Energy Services.

> They have what Mr. Hurley does not ... metrics ... and they are very
> pleased to have a stable, screaming fast cluster, that outperforms those
> on HPUX and Sun-Solaris by a wide margin.

RAC is good, but it isn't good for everything. RAC is a bad solution for OLTP. One thing that RAC makes expensive is locking. Unfortunately, transactions do need locks, which means that transactions are either much more expensive or that you adjust your application system in such a way that the same objects are modified on the same node (aka "functional partitioning"). Talking about "screaming fast RAC" without telling us what is it used for is baloney. RAC is a great thing for DW applications as it can make use of parallel query but it is a lousy thing for an active system with general ledger application or a CRM application. As for the paper from Mr. Isnogood (does anybody remember the old comics about a guy who wanted to be "calif in place of calif"?), here it is: http://www.miracleas.dk/images/upload/Docs/MS%20OracleRAC%20whitepaper.pdf It's an exceptionally well written paper.

--
http://www.mladen-gogala.com