Re: RMAN configuration

From: <hjr.pythian_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 23:08:58 -0700

On Oct 27, 8:10 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> amit kaushal wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > i am on solaris 10 oracle 9.2.0.8.
>
> > what i want to know is how do i tell rman where to keep the backup on
> > a particular partition ?
>
> > I want rman to place the backups in say /u05/backup. How do i tell it
> > that.
>
> > TIA
> > Best regards
> > amit kaushal
>
> One example:
>
> backup device type disk format '/stage/%U' database plus archivelog;
>
> Stores the backup files at /stage.
>
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington

It stores the backups there ONCE.

The actual question asked, however, was "how do I place the backups in say /u05/backup"
Backups in the plural, note. Meaning "how do I get RMAN to place ALL my backups in that directory"

Therefore, the correct answer is:

configure device type disk format '/u05/backup';

...after which all future backups will be placed there automatically and the only backup command that need be issued is:

backup database plus archivelog; Received on Sun Oct 28 2007 - 01:08:58 CDT