Re: Microsoft Loopback adapter problem with Oracle 11G

From: <hjr.pythian_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 14:18:15 -0700

On Oct 28, 7:56 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> augie wrote:
> > This is for a home PC. I have Microsoft Loopback adapter installed for
> > use with Oracle 11G for Windows but it block my internet connection. I
> > have IP address 10.10.10.. etc and the subnet
> > mask 255 etc. and the host file all of that done correctly. It works
> > fine but there is no Internet connection. I have to disable Loopback
> > and then reboot computer to restore Internet connection. The DSL is
> > dynamic DHCP Would it help if I had the loopback get its IP address
> > automatically instead of fixed?
> > thanks.
>
> Not once, while using Oracle, have I used a loopback installer.
>
> Just change your TNSNAMES.ORA to connect to 127.0.0.1 or any one of a
> number of other solutions.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington

Oh, come on Daniel.

How about actually resolving a problem for once instead of just pretending it doesn't exist?

The use of a loopback adapter is a documented REQUIREMENT for PCs that acquire their IP addresses via DHCP. It's in the official documentation. We might reasonably expect you to at least know how one works, therefore, instead of just blustering about one not being needed or "any number of other solutions" existing... but which presumably you're too busy to share with us!

This sort of "you are asking a silly question, so I won't answer it, just do this instead' is really annoying. Try *answering* the question sometime.

To the original poster: the WHOLE point of a loopback adapter is that it does NOT use DHCP. It's supposed to be used on PCs that do use DHCP so that the machine can also acquire a FIXED and invariable IP address. So no, it won't help to give your loopback adapter a dynamic address: in fact, if you do, you might just as well not bother using one at all.

The instructions for installing and configuring loopback adapters vary depending on which version of Windows you're using, which you unfortunately neglected to mention. See
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/install.102/b14316/reqs.htm#BABGCEAI for the full story for various versions, however. Received on Sat Oct 27 2007 - 16:18:15 CDT