Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 12:06:16 +0200

On 27.10.2007 08:11, DA Morgan wrote:
> Mark D Powell wrote:
>

>> I do not consider autotrace as being a necessity.

> I do.
>
>> Regular explain plan is usually good enough.

> The emphasis being, in my oopinion on "usually."
>
>> I suspect the DBA does not want
>> developers running poorly performing SQL on production in order to get
>> an autotrace to tune the SQL with when the developer should have just
>> ran explain plan first.

> Here I agree and I will go one step further. No developer should ever
> have access to a production database except as an end-user utilizing the
> application. I've yet to see a legitimate reason for any developer to
> have production access privs.

I'm not sure I agree here - at least not with that level of strictness.   There may be situations where a collaborative team effort (engineering and DBA) is needed to hunt down an issue that occurs on a production system. Sometimes it's not possible to recreate the same situation on a development / test system (because of load, data or time) and looking into the production system is the only chance. Granted, access could be given temporarily or all parties could sit together in front of the DBA's terminal.

And then there are of course those shops too small to have their own DBA and that need to rely on the software provider to determine the root cause of an issue. I know, this should not happen (i.e. an Oracle without a DBA) but in practice...

Kind regards

        robert Received on Sat Oct 27 2007 - 05:06:16 CDT