Re: Again, Solaris or Linux for RAC

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 09:35:12 -0700

emdproduction_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> Our application will potentially have a few thousand concurrent user.
>
> I know it has been debated many times, but most of the thread are
> dated before 2000. A lot of new things happened on the market these
> years.
>
> Now, solaris is not that awefully expensive, Linux has evolved as
> well.
>
> What will you pick, solaris or linux for your RAC?
>
> According to the sevey by IOUG (http://www.ioug.org/Research.pdf),
> Oracle on Solaris will decline from 49% to 43%, and Linux will
> increase from 34% to 44% by April 2007. But they never publish the
> new poll, is that really happening?

At meetings within the last two weeks, one the Utah Oracle Users Group Fall Conference and again yesterday at the Northern California OUG's Fall Conference the question was put to all in attendance.

In both cases about 1/3 had Linux and 1/2 had Solaris. But the Solaris was legacy and the Linux was new. And the hand-writing is on the wall.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington