Re: SGA Tuning and The Memory Advisor

From: cptkirkh <khill_at_scic.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 07:17:37 -0700

On Oct 26, 6:08 am, Jerome Vitalis
<vitalismanN05..._at_gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> On Oct 25, 3:42 pm,cptkirkh<kh..._at_scic.com> wrote:
>
> >> Wehn I run the ADDM/AWR in TOAD it keeps returning the following report
> >> that my SGA is not large enough. I have the sga_target to a number
> >> higher than that
>
> Did you really mean sga_target here? Or is it sga_max_size?
>
> >> I thought that on a 10g, actually it is 10.2.0.3 on windows 2003, that
> >> by setting the sga_target it turns on the SGA automated memory
> >> management and will adjust the SGA if it needs more up to the
> >> sga_max_size number.
>
> No. The sizes of the *pools* inside the SGA are automatically adjusted
> and their sum is sga_target.
>
> You can increase sga_target dynamically up to sga_max_size (this is the
> shared memory size allocated from the OS at instance startup and you
> cannot change it dynamically.)

It states that my sga_target is not high enough and that i should set it to the value listed. Also I get the saem resopnse from the ADDM inside of the OEM so I know it is not just a TOAD thing. So that makes sense why the ADDM keeps asking me to increase the sga_target. The problem is that number varies dependign on the time fo day. Is there a query that ican run to get a best pracitce average to find out what to increase my sga_target or should I jsut tKe the advice of the ADDM and set it to the highest value it tells me to for the past week. Received on Fri Oct 26 2007 - 09:17:37 CDT