Re: Incomplete recovery question again

From: gazzag <gareth_at_jamms.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 04:30:24 -0700

On 25 Oct, 17:56, eAddict <eAdd..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> So.... how do I debug what I might have done wrong? Why isn't this
> cancel based recovery working?

<snip>
> Specify log: {<RET>=suggested | filename | AUTO | CANCEL}
> cancel
> ORA-01547: warning: RECOVER succeeded but OPEN RESETLOGS would get
> error below
> ORA-01194: file 2 needs more recovery to be consistent
> ORA-01110: data file 2: '/oraBCV/hot/oradba/sisi/oracle/TEMP_01.dbf'
>
> ORA-01112: media recovery not started
>
> SQL> alter database open resetlogs;
> alter database open resetlogs
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01194: file 2 needs more recovery to be consistent
> ORA-01110: data file 2: '/oraBCV/hot/oradba/sisi/oracle/TEMP_01.dbf'
>
> SQL>

> The way the 'backup' was done was a copy of the database was made from
> a set of mirrored disks. The LIVE database files were put in backup
> mode, a copy of the control file was made, the disks were split, the
> LIVE database was taken out of backup mode. Then the mirrors were
> mounted on another server. I created a new controlfile to change the
> SID and the path to the files. Then I tried to recover.
>
> What did I miss?
> Vince

I had something like this recently, albeit with 10gR2 on a Windows platform, and it was driving me potty; I was convinced that I had all the logs that I required. Out of desperation, I typed "CANCEL" (note uppercase) as opposed to "cancel". The database could then be opened normally.

HTH -g Received on Fri Oct 26 2007 - 06:30:24 CDT