Re: Linux on Sun-intel or Dell-intel?

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 20:39:46 +0200

hjr.pythian_at_gmail.com wrote:

> For what it's worth, I wouldn't touch Dell with a brass wazoo.
>
> Long stories all of them, but it boils down to Dell being pricey with
> incredibly poor service for what you pay. I would prefer anything by
> HP these days myself.

Funny - I have exactly the opposite experience; when both companies were asked to deliver a testbed for 4 weeks (rentals!), the Dell system arrived, and was installed within 3 business days.
HP brought in an obviously used Compaq Proliant, had the wrong configuration (we requested copper, not glass SAN connections), and had not fixed it after three weeks.

The test was conducted solely on Dell, which performed outstanding.

FWIIW: EBS Suite, plus custom extensions, plus custom apps,on Linux.

And I now work daily with HP, and HP-UX (11.23) is just not it. HP disks are seriously overpriced (after all, it's just Seagate(?) in disguise).

Maybe service is region related...

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel